I'd love to have you share on Facebook and Pinterest. You can use the small gray icon below each Bible study for this purpose.

Friday, June 28, 2013

Thanks, Sis, I Needed That (Insights)

Before reading these insights, I encourage you to do the "Thanks, Sis, I Needed That" Bible Study. These are my insights, and I'd love to hear yours.

Matthew 6:25-34 
1. I'm loved by God (v.26).
2. He knows my needs (v.32). 
3. I can handle one day at a time as long as I don't project my problems into the future (v.34). 
Philippians 4:4-9 
4. Rejoicing in my salvation is important (v4). 
5. Prayer overcomes anxiety (v.6). 
6. Thanksgiving is essential (v.6). 
7. Dwelling on my blessings brings peace and perspective (v.8-9). 

1. What else can you glean from these two wonderful passages that could help me (and you) with worry? 

Some additional thoughts I gleaned from these verses in addition to the ones I listed above: 

Thanks, Sis, I Needed That!
Matthew 6:25-34:  
  • This passage addresses worry about our need for food and clothing. In our modern world, most of us worry about wants, not needs. For a clearer perspective, read this 1-minute devotion: Feeling Rich
  • And one more thought....isn't it cool that God is so "real"--in verse 34 he says, "Each day has enough trouble of its own"... He understands that life can be difficult.  

Philippians 4:4-9:  
  • Paul repeats himself in verse 4....we need repetition. (Read Never Enough).
  • Don't you want your heart and mind guarded? I do and this has to be something we do intentionally.
  • Dwelling on good things gives us proper perspective: no matter what else happens, there are good things in our lives if we know Jesus. 

2. How do the verses below supplement the truths in Matthew 6 and Philippians 4: 

James 4:13-15:  
  • This supplements Matthew 6:34. We don't know what tomorrow holds so worrying about what might happen is a foolish waste of our time. 
  • If the Lord has allowed a bump in our road or a detour in our plans, it will work out for our good (Romans 8:28). 
Colossians 3:16-17:  
  • When God's message of hope dwells in us, when we surround ourselves with His Words and fellowship with others who know Him, our hearts become grateful in the midst of our problems. 
  • This supports the exhortation of Philippians 4:4-9.
  • One method for dwelling on God's Word is called Figure 8--explained in the 1-minute devotion HERE. It would be wonderful to use this method with Philippians 4 to overcome worry. Or simply Memorize Philippians 4:4-9 using some of these 7 Tips To Make Scripture Memory Easier.
copyright 2013, Gail Burton Purath, BiteSizeBibleStudy.com 
All Scripture NIV unless otherwise noted

No comments:

Post a Comment