I'd love to have you share on Facebook and Pinterest. You can use the small gray icon below each Bible study for this purpose.

Friday, December 6, 2013

Disobedience is Unbelief (Insights)

Before reading these insights, I encourage you to do the study Disobedience is Unbelief


Bible Study
Modern Christian culture has emphasized the love of God while ignoring His commands, but Scripture has some powerful things to say about this. Do you think we underestimate God's concern for holiness?

I think we often underestimate the importance of obedience to God. It's as if we've redefined God's character and made Him soft on sin, a senile grandfather type who isn't concerned about our growth and well-being, just our worldly happiness. 

John 14:15: "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments." (NASB)  
Either we love Him or not.

John 14:23-24: Jesus replied, "Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. 24 Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me. 
Who loves Jesus? the one who obeys.

1 John 2:3: We know that we have come to know him if we keep his commands. 
Knowing Him = keeping His commands

2 John 1:6: And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love. 
Love = obedience

Romans 1:18: The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness. The wrath of God has "gone out of style" in Christianity, but it's a very real aspect of God's love.

What do you think about the link between obedience and belief? I'd love to hear your insights, especially as they apply to your life.

copyright Gail Burton Purath, 2013, BiteSizeBibleStudy.com
All Scripture NIV unless otherwise noted
Image: Stockvault

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...