I'd love to have you share on Facebook and Pinterest. You can use the small gray icon below each Bible study for this purpose.

Friday, March 28, 2014

Why, God, Why? (Insights)

Before reading these insights, I encourage you to work through the Bite Size Study Why, God Why? Black text is the original study, blue text is the insights.

Bible Study 

Ponder these Scripture passages. How do they speak to your unanswered questions about suffering and evil?

Isaiah 55:8-9: “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,”declares the LORD. 9“As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." 

There are two aspects to this passage:
1. We should seek to know God better so we have the mind of Christ:
Romans 12:1-2
1 Corinthians 2

2. But we must also realize that we will never fully understand God because He is so beyond our finite minds. We will spend eternity learning about God, and everything we learn about Him will be good and loving. The fact that we sometimes doubt God's plan or God's goodness is evidence that our minds are limited.
Ephesians 3:19-21

1 Corinthians 13:12: For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. 13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

This passage has always given me comfort. I believe it promises a comfort and peace in heaven that we can't even imagine here on earth--a knowledge that explains every question. And this knowledge comes because we are able to see Christ face to face. Wow! I can't imagine the joy of that! 

I added verse 13 to these insights (it wasn't in the original study) because it assures us that even though we cannot know everything about God here on earth, all that we have learned about faith, hope and love will serve us in eternity.

why God allows evil and suffering, God is 100% good2 Corinthians 1:3-5: Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. 5 For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ. 

What more could we ask for this earthly life than this? If we never suffered, we would never understand the greatness of God's comfort and we wouldn't be able to comfort others. Before I experienced physical and relationship problems in my life and saw the way God used them for my good and gave me comfort in them, I was a poor comforter to others. 

For more insights on how to comfort others, read these 1-Minute Bible Love Notes: 
What Did They Do to Deserve This? 
Comfort Produces Comfort 
She Didn't Know What To Say 

copyright 2013, Gail Burton Purath, BiteSizeBibleStudy.com
All Scripture NIV unless otherwise noted

No comments:

Post a Comment