I'd love to have you share on Facebook and Pinterest. You can use the small gray icon below each Bible study for this purpose.

Monday, August 19, 2013

Do We Underestimate Christ's Words? Bible Study

Jesus tells us to count the cost of becoming a disciple
In seminary I was assigned a presentation on the "Lordship Salvation" debate. This controversy produced several books in the 1990s and started a debate that continues today.
  • One side says salvation is 100% grace with no requirements, not even repentance. 
  • The other side says salvation is 100% grace but certain changes will/must follow true conversion.
Side #1 doesn't have a Biblical leg to stand on, and I think some proponents of side #2 are a bit rigid in their expectations. 

But this debate raises an important question:  Have we made people think that becoming a Christian is anything less than an all-encompassing life commitment?

In Luke 14, Jesus says "count the cost... those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples."

Do you think we underestimate these words of Christ? After working this study, please leave a comment and share your insights.
*v.28 NLT, v. 33 NIV 
Bible Study

After reading the passages below, answer these questions:
1. Do you think we soft sell Christianity? 
2. Would you use Luke 14:28-33 when sharing Christ with someone?
3. Do you think you've personally counted the cost? 
4. What things have you given up to follow Christ? 
5. Are there things you're holding onto?

1 John 2:3-4: We know that we have come to know him if we keep his commands. 4Whoever says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in that person.

1 John 3:9-10: No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God. 10 This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not God’s child, nor is anyone who does not love their brother and sister. 

Luke 9:23-26: Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. 24 For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it. 25 What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit their very self? 26 Whoever is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels. 

When you've finished this study, I encourage you to read my insights HERE. I think they are especially important this week to clear up any controversy over whether a person can be saved without repentance or obedience.

Some of you have written me and told me you do Bite Size studies with a group. If you are doing this,would you bless me by leaving a comment on Bite Size Bible Study and letting me know what insights your group gleaned from these passages? It's always interesting to hear how God speaks. Thanks! Gail 
copyright 2013, Gail Burton Purath, BiteSizeBibleStudy.com
All Scripture NIV unless otherwise noted 

After doing this study, please check out my insights HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...