I'd love to have you share on Facebook and Pinterest. You can use the small gray icon below each Bible study for this purpose.

Monday, September 16, 2013

Our God Comforts Study

The 18 hour travel time to Budapest is always challenging, and last week it exacerbated my health problems.

The first night in Budapest, too uncomfortable to sleep, I climbed out of bed and into a pit of despair.

Maybe you remember my devotion about my sister kicking me in the spiritual pants and reminding me to read my own devotions ("Thanks, Sis, I needed that!"). 

This night I "kicked" myself:

1. I told myself the truth: I realized my hopelessness was produced by lack of sleep ("Eat, Rest, Cry"). 

2. I took encouragement from the Great Cloud of Witnesses-- Hebrews 12:1 (Our Cheerleaders): I remembered Joni, whose 40 years in a wheelchair and constant pain haven't dampened her love or hope in Jesus.

The following night, I was in worse pain that the first night, but my spirits were restored. 

Like Habakkuk, I chose to sing despite my circumstances: "I will be joyful in the God of my salvation! The Sovereign LORD is my strength!" 

Bible Study

God promises that everything will be perfect in heaven, but not here on earth. But He does promise to comfort us.

While bad circumstances can sometimes reflect God's displeasure or discipline, often they are simply part of life and growth. (See What Did They Do To Deserve This?). Those who serve and love God faithfully often face serious trials.

Read the following verses and remember (or even memorize) them when you face difficulty and feel alone.

2 Corinthisan 1:3-5:  Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. 5 For as we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too. 

John 16:32-33: Behold, the hour is coming, indeed it has come, when you will be scattered, each to his own home, and will leave me alone. Yet I am not alone, for the Father is with me. 33 I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” 

1 Peter 1:3-9: Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you, 5 who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. 6 In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. 7 These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. 8 Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, 9 for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

copyright, Gail Burton Purath, 2013, BiteSizeBibleStudy.com
All Scripture NIV unless otherwise noted

After doing this study, you can check out my insights HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...