I'd love to have you share on Facebook and Pinterest. You can use the small gray icon below each Bible study for this purpose.

Monday, December 2, 2013

Disobedience is Unbelief

if we love Christ we will obey His commands, 1 John 5:3
"I know it's the honest thing, but I can't afford to do it right now." 

Ever heard someone say something like this? 

I admit I sometimes wish I could bypass Scriptural principles, but God's Spirit reminds me that disobedience is unbelief

Ignoring God's commands is ignoring God Himself because His principles flow from His character. 

Disobedience is doubting that God is holy, wise, and loving. 

Satan told Eve God's law didn't apply to her. She'd be better off ignoring it. She doubted God's character, believed the Liar and learned that the wages of sin is death

And mankind has followed in her footsteps ever since, thinking sin is easy and pleasant when it's actually difficult and destructive. 

We may think we can't afford to obey God, but the truth is that we can't afford not to. "In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome" 1 John 5:3 


Bible Study

Modern Christian culture has emphasized the love of God while ignoring His commands, but Scripture has some powerful things to say about this. Do you think we underestimate God's concern for holiness?

John 14:15: "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments." (NASB) 

John 14:23-24: Jesus replied, "Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. 24 Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me. 

1 John 2:3: We know that we have come to know him if we keep his commands. 

2 John 1:6: And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love. 

Romans 1:18: The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness. 

After doing this study, you can check out my insights HERE.

copyright Gail Burton Purath, 2013, BiteSizeBibleStudy.com
All Scripture NIV unless otherwise noted
Image: Stockvault

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...