- Verses 13-14 explain that sand-dwellers are on the broad highway to hell instead of the narrow highway to heaven.
- Verses 15-20 warn against sand-dwellers in rock-dweller disguise.
- Then, in a startling statement, Jesus says that some sand-dwellers call Him "Lord" and have an outward form of spirituality. The sand-dwellers seem genuinely surprised when Jesus says, "I never knew you." (21-23).
- Last is this series is the warning about building our house on sand instead of rock. Both sand and rock-dwellers hear the Word, but only rock-dwellers do what it says (24-27).
Genuine faith is narrow ... unmasked ... fruitful ... built on obedience. Does this describe your faith? I pray it does.
1. How does the passage below help you understand the difference between rock-dwellers and sand-dwellers?
Matthew 13:24-30: Jesus told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. 25 But while everyone was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away. 26 When the wheat sprouted and formed heads, then the weeds also appeared. 27 “The owner’s servants came to him and said, ‘Sir, didn’t you sow good seed in your field? Where then did the weeds come from?’ 28 “‘An enemy did this,’ he replied. “The servants asked him, ‘Do you want us to go and pull them up?’ 29 “‘No,’ he answered, ‘because while you are pulling the weeds, you may uproot the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn.’”
2. What do these passages tell us about a Christian attitude toward sin? If someone you love claims to be a Christian but lives a life of disobedience, how might you counsel them?
1 John 3:9-10: No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God. 10 This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not God’s child, nor is anyone who does not love their brother and sister.
1 John 1:9-10: If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.
copyright 2016, Gail Burton Purath, BiteSizeBibleStudy.com
Share Bite Size Studies on social networks using the small gray buttons below each study.