3 Reasons Christians Can Overcome Sin

3 Reasons We Can Overcome Sin: Power, Motive, and Calling
When we sin, we need to acknowledge, confess and repent of our sins (1 John 1:8-10). 

But we also need to make progress in defeating sin in our lives because:  

1. We have a "power source" beyond ourselves

Philippians 4:13: For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. 

2. We have a motivation beyond ourselves:

Romans 12:1: Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God--this is your true and proper worship. 

3. We have a calling beyond ourselves:  

1 Thessalonians 4:7: For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life.

Only as we let God’s Spirit govern our choices and desires will we gain freedom over sin (Romans 8:6).
 
3 Reasons We Can Overcome Sin: Power, Motive, and Calling
Bible Study 

1. What things do we learn about God’s strength from the following passages? 

2 Corinthians 12:8-10: Three different times I begged the Lord to take [the thorn in my flesh] away. 9 Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. 10 That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 

Ephesians 3:16-17: I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. 17 Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. 

2. In your own words, explain what our motivation for godliness is. 

1 Corinthians 6:20: You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies. 

3. How would you describe the calling of every Christian?

Ephesians 1:4: For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight.  

Ephesians 2:10: For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. 
copyright 2017, Gail Burton Purath, Bite Size Bible Study

1 comment: