"Too Hard" - Bible Study on Forgiveness

When forgiveness seems too hard, we can dwell on the truths in this short Bible study.

As an introduction to this study, please read the 1-minute devotion Too Hard. It shares two extremely inspiring examples of forgiveness. 

Forgiveness is a subject we should study often, reminding ourselves of its importance.

1. We're all tempted to become bitter when we’re mistreated, but we can overcome that temptation in God’s power. 

1 Corinthians 10:13: "No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it."

It's helpful to remember that whatever injustice we're suffering, others have suffered it before us. The stories of Corrie Ten Boom and Robert Sadler inspire us to forgive. What Old Testament Bible character also encourages us to forgive? What Old Testament Bible character shows us the negative results of bitterness?

2 Peter 1:3-4: "His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires." 

How does this passage apply to forgiveness?

2 Corinthians 10:4-5: "The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." 

How does this passage apply to forgiveness?

Jeremiah 32:17: "O Sovereign LORD! You made the heavens and earth by your strong hand and powerful arm. Nothing is too hard for you!" 

Philippians 4:13: "For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength." 

How do the two passages above apply to forgiveness?


2. It helps if we remember that forgiveness doesn’t mean we approve or excuse our offender's sin. 

When forgiveness seems too hard, we can dwell on the truths in this short Bible study.
It means we give up our desire to get even, and we give up bitter thoughts—and we do this because we love God. 

Romans 12:17-21: "Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: 'It is mine to avenge; I will repay,' says the Lord. On the contrary: 'If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.' Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." 

Joseph had a forgiving spirit toward his brothers, but he spoke about the offense honestly: "Joseph said to them, 'Don’t be afraid. Am I in the place of God? You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. So then, don’t be afraid. I will provide for you and your children.' And he reassured them and spoke kindly to them." (Genesis 50:19-21)  

copyright 2013, Gail Burton Purath, edited and updated in 2020

Bite Size Bible Study

2 comments:

  1. My daughter and her daughter cut me out of their lives 2 years ago. But the nastiness and lies they say still continues. Iv gone through every emotion you can imagine. I really thought families loved each other unconditionally. I know I love them still. But forgiving is very difficult, when there is no reason given for Thier hateful behaviour. I have never abused, or neglected my daughter, I not been perfect, but who is? Iv tried to reason with her, I pray, I ask for strength to ignore Thier hatefulness. I don't know what I have done to receive such treatment. I had no answer to my asking for a reason. My daughter won't talk to me at all. We used to be so close.i don't want revenge. I'm hurting. I want peace, and but there are days when I'm so overwhelmed with confusion and mental torment. I just cry. I forgive but it's the forgetting that is so hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Hurt, I'm so sorry that I'm responding so late. My comments were not published by mistake. I have prayed for you. May God give you wisdom and strength and comfort in your situation. And I pray you are able to forgive.

      Delete