I'd love to have you share on Facebook and Pinterest. You can use the small gray icon below each Bible study for this purpose.

Monday, May 6, 2013

Guilty Until Proven Innocent Bible Study

God's Word is reliable, accurate, true
Our laws are designed to treat defendants as innocent until proven guilty. 

But Bible critics approach the Bible as flawed until proven accurate. 

For example: For hundreds of years unbelievers pointed out that there was no evidence for the existence of the Hittites mentioned in Deuteronomy 20:17. Then in 1906, the Hittite capitol was discovered with a library of clay tablets. 

Perhaps God has allowed some of these questions to remain because “faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see” (Hebrews 11:1). 

We don’t need “blind faith” to trust the Bible because there's more evidence proving the Bible true than questions about it's validity. But we should have faith in God's Word without every question being answered. 

God isn’t afraid of our questions, so let’s not be afraid of His occasional silence! Let’s judge His Word innocent until proven guilty because it never will be.
Resource:   Presumed Innocent  
image: Free Digital Photos 

1. What is God’s attitude toward His Word? In light of God’s attitude, do you think you are taking God’s Word as seriously as you should? 

Luke 9:26:  "Whoever is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels." 

2. Read the verses below. 
  • What effect does the Word of God have on some people? 
  • Does this surprise you? 
  • Is it possible to speak God’s Word carefully and lovingly and still offend others? 
  • Can you think of situations when sharing the Gospel or expressing your Biblical convictions would cause you to be rejected? 
  • Are you willing to suffer rejection because of God’s Word? 

Jeremiah 6:10:  To whom can I speak and give warning? Who will listen to me? Their ears are closed so they cannot hear. The word of the Lord is offensive to them; they find no pleasure in it.

Jeremiah 20:8-9  Whenever I speak, I cry out proclaiming violence and destruction. So the word of the Lord has brought me insult and reproach all day long. 9 But if I say, “I will not mention his word or speak anymore in his name,” his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot.

John 17:14  I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world.

© copyright, Gail Burton Purath, 2013
All Scripture NIV unless otherwise noted 

After doing this study, please check out my insights HERE. And I'd love to hear your insights too. 


For 1-minute devotions that supplement these truths, read:
Count on It!
Worth an Arm or a Leg
Peanut Butter or Gourmet Fare? 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment