Before I was a Christian, I believed that every major religion was a different way to heaven. I talk about that HERE.
Unfortunately, this universalism(1)
is a popular view in our culture.
And the world is quick to ask us "What right do you have to decide which god is the right one?"
The truth is, we wouldn't be in a position to decide this important question if God had not decided it for us. The Bible is perfectly clear that there is only one way to salvation.
Jesus said this:
- John 14:6: Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
- Acts 4:11-12: “Jesus is ‘the stone you builders rejected, which has become the cornerstone.’Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.”
- Philippians 2:9-11: Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name,10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
- Timothy 2:5-6: For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself as a ransom for all people. This has now been witnessed to at the proper time.
- 1 John 2:23: No one who denies the Son has the Father; whoever acknowledges the Son has the Father also.
- 1 John 5:10-12: Whoever believes in the Son of God accepts this testimony. Whoever does not believe God has made him out to be a liar, because they have not believed the testimony God has given about his Son. 11 And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life.
- 1 John 5:20: We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true. And we are in him who is true by being in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.
- 2 John 1:9: Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
A. a theological doctrine that all human beings will eventually be saved
B. the principles and practices of a liberal Christian denomination founded in the 18th century originally to uphold belief in universal salvation and now united with Unitarianism
Q. Have you encountered universalism in any "Christian" teachings? Some people who read the extremely popular novel, The Shack, felt it taught universalism. Others did not. If you read it, what did you think?
Image: Bible Picture Gallery