God Promises Us Death and Life!

giving up our lives for Christ, denying self, taking our cross
Some people believe that God promises His children health, wealth, and comfort. 

In reality, God promises us martyrdom. 

Yes, I didn't misspeak. You and I are called to be martyrs. 

Obviously, I don't mean that all of us are meant to be executed for sharing the Gospel. But Scripture says we're all called to die for our faith: 

"Then [Jesus] said to them all: 'Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. 24 For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it.'" Luke 9:23-24

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Galatians 2:20 

Read Luke 9:24 again: "whoever loses their life for me will save it."

Some things are worth dying for. 

Bible Study 

The Bible emphasizes our need to die to self and to sin. Below are  more Scriptures that explain various aspects of our "death." Thoughtfully read through each passage and note the aspects of "death" and "life" it includes.

John 12:23-26: Jesus replied, “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. 24 Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. 25 Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life. 26 Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me. 

Colossians 3:5: Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. 

Romans 6:10-11: The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God. 11 In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. 

Romans 12:1: Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God--this is your true and proper worship. 
copyright 2016, Gail Burton Purath, BiteSizeBibleStudy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment