I'd love to have you share on Facebook and Pinterest. You can use the small gray icon below each Bible study for this purpose.

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Clutter Tolerance Bible Study

clutter stress, Luke 12:15, possessions
Did you know we all have different "clutter tolerance levels"

According to experts, once we've reached those levels, we become stressed and unproductive. Even though it "hurts" our brains to deal with clutter, we keep collecting unnecessary possessions. 

If you've seen my decor posts, you know I'm a collector, so don't think I'm pointing a finger. But lately I've been asking myself some questions: 
  • Would my life be more godly and productive without so many possessions? 
  • Do I own my things or do my things own me?
I'm fast to explain away the meaning of Christ's words to the rich young ruler. You know, when He says to sell all he has and give it to the poor. I know think that's not God's will for everyone. 

But do I understand these words of Christ: "Beware! Guard against every kind of greed. Life is not measured by how much you own." Luke 12:15 (NLT)

Bible Study

How does God expect us to look at money and possessions?

There are hundreds of passages in Old and New Testament about how we handle money and possessions. It is obviously an important subject for us to explore. 

Christian personal finance has compiled a list of 250 Scripture references about money HERE.

What 6 Principles are found in these 6 passages below?

Mark 12:41-44: Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. 42 But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents. 43 Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. 44 They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.” 

Luke 16:10: “Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much. 

Philippians 4:11-13: I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength. 

1 Timothy 6:7-10: For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. 8 But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. 9 Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

2 Corinthians 9:6-8: Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. 7 Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 8 And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. 

James 2:14-17: What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? 15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. 

copyright 2013, Gail Burton Purath, BiteSizeBibleStudy.com 
All Scripture NIV unless otherwise noted
When you're finished with this study, you may want to read my insights HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...