I'd love to have you share on Facebook and Pinterest. You can use the small gray icon below each Bible study for this purpose.

Sunday, August 4, 2013

People-Pleasers Bible Study

People pleasing is a dead end, please God not people
When we talk about "people-pleasers" we often think of weak, doormat types. But people-pleasing is a subtle problem for most of us. 

I feel insecure when people reject me, but I'm learning three things:
1. Insecurity is often a sign of people-pleasing.
2. People's expectations and opinions change.
3. God's expectations are stable and dependable. 

Sometimes people unsubscribe from Bible Love Notes because they don't like something I've written. I could avoid this if I only wrote encouraging things. But I know I need correction and rebuke as well as encouragement, so I keep writing both.

I'm learning to deal with my insecurities (and unsubscriptions) by reminding myself of Colossians 3:23: "Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people." 

If you have similar insecurities, I encourage you to memorize this verse.

Bible Study

4 Signs of people pleasing, Ephesians 5:10
Maybe you're like me and didn't realize how many Scripture passages address people-pleasing. Below are a few of them. Read each one and write down your insights. Then ask God to show you how to overcome any areas of unhealthy people-pleasing you have. 

Matthew 6:1: “Watch out! Don’t do your good deeds publicly, to be admired by others, for you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven."

Romans 12:2: (NLT)  Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect. 

Galatians 1:10: (NLT) Obviously, I’m not trying to win the approval of people, but of God. If pleasing people were my goal, I would not be Christ’s servant. 

Colossians 3:22: (ESV) Slaves, obey in everything those who are your earthly masters, not by way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord. 

Proverbs 29:25: Fearing people is a dangerous trap, but trusting the LORD means safety. 

Ephesians 5:10: "find out what pleases the Lord." 

James 4:4: You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. 

copyright 2013, Gail Burton Purath, BiteSizeBibleStudy.com 
All Scripture NIV unless otherwise noted
After doing this study, you can check out my insights HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment