People-Pleasers Bible Study

This short Bible study encourages us to avoid people-pleasing behaviors that aren't biblical.

As an introduction to this study, please read the 1-minute devotion People-Pleasing Is a Dead End.

Many years ago, my husband and I helped youth groups do ministry in another country. One of my roles was to make sure the female participants were culturally sensitive in dress and behavior. Unfortunately, the rules were unpopular and, thus, I was unpopular. Several days of cold treatment left me distraught. I wanted these people to like me.

After one tense episode, I returned to my room exhausted. In tears, I cried out to the Lord, and He reminded me that what I was doing was pleasing to Him. My circumstances didn't improve, but I regained my energy and confidence.

Scripture tells us to be considerate of others' interests:  

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others." Philippians 2:3-4 

But God's interests, values, and commands must always be our top priority.

It's culturally popular to call God's commands hateful, old-fashioned, or phobic, but we know they bring health and light to people's souls. 

Therefore we refuse to be ashamed of them.

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes." Romans 1:16

Read each of the Scriptures below, and ask God to show you how to overcome any areas of unhealthy people-pleasing you have. 

Matthew 6:1: “Watch out! Don’t do your good deeds publicly, to be admired by others, for you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven."

God's unseen approval matters more than any visible admiration we receive. 

Romans 12:2: "Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect." 

The only way we overcome the deceptive influences of our culture is to transform our thinking in God's Word. 

Galatians 1:10: "Obviously, I’m not trying to win the approval of people, but of God. If pleasing people were my goal, I would not be Christ’s servant." 

Life is full of choices to please God or man. 

Proverbs 29:25: "Fearing people is a dangerous trap, but trusting the LORD means safety." 

People-pleasing leads to worry, fear, loss, and regret.  

Ephesians 5:10: "find out what pleases the Lord." 

Our chief aim in life. 

James 4:4: "You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God." 

A powerful warning!

copyright 2013, Gail Burton Purath, BiteSizeBibleStudy.com, updated and edited in 2020

This short Bible study encourages us to avoid people-pleasing behaviors that aren't biblical.

 
Bite Size Bible Study

2 comments:

  1. Thanking you for posting this today. It has reassured me my decision was approving to God even though it was hard to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the Lord, God-pleasing make our lives as spring that gives everlasting life.

    ReplyDelete