I'd love to have you share on Facebook and Pinterest. You can use the small gray icon below each Bible study for this purpose.

Monday, November 18, 2013

Faith versus Feeling

Faith, Emotions, Feelings
I experienced the strongest emotion the day before we left Budapest last spring. 

We'd been helping with ministry in Hungary for three months, and I got this feeling that I would never set foot on a Budapest street again.

We lived in Budapest from 2004-2009 doing Christian work, and we've returned for several months every year since. So this feeling took me by surprise.

I didn't obsess over it, but I pondered it until I set foot on the Budapest streets again this year.

Feelings are powerful and unreliable. They mess with our minds and influence our behavior. 

And perhaps the stupidest feeling we sometimes have is the feeling that God has abandoned or forgotten us. It's a common reaction when we face confusing difficulties, but it's a lie from the pit of hell. 

Never, never, never will He leave us or forsake us (Hebrews 13:5). That's a fact, not a feeling. 

 Bible Study

1. Read the two passages below, both written by David. What do these passages show us about faith versus feeling?

Psalm 13:1: How long, Lord? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? 

Psalm 139:7-12: Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? 8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. 9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, 10 even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. 11 If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” 12 even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.

2. What additional insights does the passage below give about faith versus feeling?

2 Corinthians 1:8-11: We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers and sisters, about the troubles we experienced in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired of life itself. 9 Indeed, we felt we had received the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead. 10 He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us again. On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us, 11 as you help us by your prayers. Then many will give thanks on our behalf for the gracious favor granted us in answer to the prayers of many.

copyright 2013,Gail Burton Purath, Bite Size Bible Study
All Scripture NIV unless otherwise noted

After doing this study, you can check out my insights HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment