I'd love to have you share on Facebook and Pinterest. You can use the small gray icon below each Bible study for this purpose.

Monday, November 4, 2013

Salt & Grace (Study)

Colossians 4:6, Conversations with grace and salt
I haven't always shared my opinions graciously. And I think this is a significant problem among Christians. 

Scripture says we should share the "salt" of the Gospel with abundant grace (Colossians 4:6). 

For example, I don't like Halloween and I don't like certain politicians and I'm disappointed in some Christian leaders.

But I don't think it's accurate or kind to say Christians who celebrate Halloween are "consorting with Satan." 

And I don't think God has given anyone revelation about the identity of the anti-Christ at this point in time.

Nor do I think we should repeat accusations against Christian authors and speakers without carefully checking the facts.

It's easy for me to speak the truth in arrogance and carelessly point out the sins of others. But Scripture commands me to speak truth in love (Ephesians 4:15) and deal with my self-righteousness before criticizing others (Matthew 7:1-5). 

In fact, Jesus said tons about the sin of self-righteousness (One of many verses). 

Do you ever have a problem sharing your opinion graciously? 


Bible Study

In the last few years, I've heard a great many rumors based on partial truths, second hand assumptions, and words taken out of context.

Even if we don't like certain people, we owe them the benefit of the doubt.

What insights do the following verses give us about spreading rumors without clear, substantiated facts? 

Matthew 12:36: But I tell you that everyone will have to give account on the day of judgment for every empty word they have spoken. 

Luke 6:31: Do to others as you would have them do to you. 

James 4:11: Brothers and sisters, do not slander one another. Anyone who speaks against a brother or sister or judges them speaks against the law and judges it. When you judge the law, you are not keeping it, but sitting in judgment on it. 

For additional insights, you might enjoy reading 3 Times to Bite Your Lip.

When you finish this study, you can check out my insights HERE.

copyright, Gail Burton Purath, 2013, BiteSizeBibleStudy.com
All Scripture NIV unless otherwise noted

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...