Sheeple

Sheeple, Insults of atheists, Atheists have faith, Matthew 5:11
"Gosh, you sheeple(1) are really pathetic if you need an imaginary friend to make sense of your miserable lives." quote left on Bible Love Notes Facebook page  

I responded: What you call "imaginary" I know as fact, a fact that has changed my life forever. What you call "pathetic," I know as joy and peace that keeps me from saying mean things to others even when they say mean things to me. What you call "miserable," I know as true and abundant life in Christ. No need to feel sorry for me. ~ "God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8  

Writing Bible Love Notes has introduced me to many such atheists, whose faith(2) in no God makes them rude. They don't realize being called sheeple is no insult when you're following the Good Shepherd. In fact, their insults are blessings according to Christ (see Matthew 5:11).
--------------------
(1) I'd never heard this term before, but this man didn't invent it. It's a derogatory term combining "people" and "sheep," meaning persons who don't think for themselves and don't research things but simply go along with whatever they're told. 
(2) While they vehemently deny it, atheists have faith (not proof) in the unproven theory that there is no God. They are sheeple, but their shepherd is a thief (See John 10:1-18).

Bible Study 

1. These passages should help us see atheist insults in their proper light and rejoice instead of taking offense:

Matthew 5:11: “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

1 Peter 4:14: If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you.  

2. The passage below puts the term "sheeple" into perspective. We are all letting something or someone lead us. Christians are following the Good Shepherd. All others are following the thief.

John 10:7-13: Therefore Jesus said again, “Very truly I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. 8 All who have come before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep have not listened to them. 9 I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. They will come in and go out, and find pasture. 10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. 11 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12 The hired hand is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. 13 The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep.

copyright 2015, Gail Burton Purath, BiteSizeBibleStudy.com 
All Scripture NIV unless otherwise noted

No comments:

Post a Comment