I'd love to have you share on Facebook and Pinterest. You can use the small gray icon below each Bible study for this purpose.

Sunday, August 20, 2017

A Simple Farmer’s Wife Who Prayed

A Simple Farmer’s Wife Who Prayed and changed her world  - James 5:16
She wasn’t fashionable or famous. She wasn’t wealthy or well-known. 

But there will be a special place in heaven for simple farm wives like my Grandma Burton. 

She loved her family and she loved her Lord…and she prayed. 

I wonder how many things I owe to my grandma’s prayers. When I get to heaven, I think Jesus will open my eyes so I can see, and I will be even more amazed and grateful than I am now. 

Dear Christian, if you are praying, your role in life is significant. 

Don’t compare yourself to others. Realize that great work is done in the prayer closets of quiet, unknown Christians - praying mothers, fathers, grandparents, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, sons, daughters, neighbors, friends.

Colossians 4:2: Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.

James 5:16: The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

Philippians 4:6: Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

1 Thessalonians 5:17: Never stop praying.

Bible Study 

A Simple Farmer’s Wife Who Prayed and changed her world  - James 5:16
1. Scripture repeatedly encourages prayer.

Romans 12:12: Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.

2. We are called to pray for earthly authorities.

1 Timothy 2:1-2: I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 

3. We are called to pray for our enemies.

Matthew 5:44: But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! 

4. We are called to pray for help against temptations.

Matthew 26:41: Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.  

5. We are called to confess our sins and pray for healing.

James 5:16: Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective. 
copyright 2017, Gail Burton Purath, Bite Size Bible Study

1 comment:

  1. This has been very helpful- thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete