Even if they believe Biblical commands about premarital sex, homosexuality, transgenderism, and abortion, they think Christians should keep their opinions to themselves and not judge other people's choices.(2)
But they don't hold this view consistently.
For example, if they found a distressed neighbor had overdosed on pills, they would do whatever they could to save his life. They wouldn't care if he disagreed, and they'd have no problem judging his choice by their values.
But here is the question we all must answer: do we believe God knows what is harmful to our bodies and souls (1 Corinthians 6:18)?
We might not be able to save someone who is suicidal, but we still have a responsibility to try. Will we do the same when they try to commit spiritual suicide (Ezekiel 3:18-19)?
(1) If you doubt that Biblical teachings about sexual morals are the words of Christ, please read "Why Not Believe Only the Words of Christ?" and "3 Silly Excuses."
(2) Scripture says we have a responsibility to judge these things (Ephesians 5:3-16; 2 Timothy 4:2). See also, "Judge Not Scripture Out of Context."
1. Some people don't believe what the Bible teaches, so it's no surprise they don't speak up about controversial moral issues. When genuine Christians shrink back from these subjects, it's often based on our fear of being rejected. It’s always easier to go along with culture than oppose it. But Jesus said this:
John 15:18: If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first.
Luke 9:26: Whoever is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.
2. If we believe people are damaging their hearts and souls through sinful sexual practices, we should attempt to rescue them.
1 Corinthians 6:18: Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body.
Ezekiel 3:18-19: When I say to a wicked person, ‘You will surely die,’ and you do not warn them or speak out to dissuade them from their evil ways in order to save their life, that wicked person will die for their sin, and I will hold you accountable for their blood. 19 But if you do warn the wicked person and they do not turn from their wickedness or from their evil ways, they will die for their sin; but you will have saved yourself.
3. We should be concerned with the eternal destiny of people involved in sexual sin. Normally, it’s best to share Christ before talking about the serious nature of their sexual sins. Then, when God begins to convict them of their sins, we can help them understand what the Bible teaches.
Jude 1:22-23: Be merciful to those who doubt; 23 save others by snatching them from the fire; to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh.
4. Some professing Christians suggest that people can continue a lifestyle of sexual sin and still be good Christians. Scripture doesn’t support this view.
1 John 3:4-10: Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness. 5 But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin. 6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him. 7 Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous. 8 The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work. 9 No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God. 10 This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not God’s child, nor is anyone who does not love their brother and sister.
1 Corinthians 6:9-10: Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
copyright 2017, Gail Burton Purath, Bite Size Bible Study