I'd love to have you share on Facebook and Pinterest. You can use the small gray icon below each Bible study for this purpose.

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Thanks, Sis, I Needed That


Accountability, Philippians 4, Overcoming Discouragement
I was talking to my sister, commiserating over my problems (i.e. worrying). 

"I know someone who writes these really good 1-minute devotions called Bible Love Notes," she said, "you should start reading them." 

Sometimes we need sisters to get us back on track. 

I've mentioned it before, but just in case you missed it: 
  • Many of the Bible Love Notes I write apply to problems and sins I have. 
  • I don't always practice what I preach. 
After my talk with my sister, I headed for my Bible and God spoke volumes in two passages: 
Matthew 6:25-34 
1. I'm loved by God (v.26).
2. He knows my needs (v.32). 
3. I can handle one day at a time as long as I don't project my problems into the future (v.34). 
Philippians 4:4-9 
4. Rejoicing in my salvation is important (v4). 
5. Prayer overcomes anxiety (v.6). 
6. Thanksgiving is essential (v.6). 
7. Dwelling on my blessings brings peace and perspective (v.8-9).

Thanks, Sis, I needed that!

Bible Study 

1. What else can you glean from these two wonderful passages that could help me (and you) with worry? 

Matthew 6:25-34: 25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? 28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. 

Philippians 4:4-9: 4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you. 

2. How do the verses below supplement the truths in Matthew 6 and Philippians 4: 

James 4:13-15: 13 Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” 14 Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. 15 Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.” 

Colossians 3:16-17: 16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. 17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. 

These 1-Minute Bible Love Notes will supplement the message of this study, so I encourage you to take a moment and read them:
Practicing Gratefulness
90% of the Time We're Wrong 
See Them For What They Are

copyright 2013, Gail Burton Purath, BiteSizeBibleStudy.com 
All Scripture NIV unless otherwise noted 

After doing this study, you can check out my insights HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment