If You Were Arrested ... Bible Study

If you were arrested for being a Christian, could they convict you? This short Bible study discusses evidence for faith.

As an introduction to this study, please read If you were arrested for being a Christian, would they have enough evidence to convict you?  

People should notice differences in our words, our actions, and our lifestyles if we are truly living for the Lord.

1. What are some of the things that should mark the lives of believers?
 
As you read through the passages below, ask yourself these questions:
↪ What changes should we see immediately in the life of a new believer?
↪ What changes will require a process?
↪ Why do some Christians mature more quickly than others? 
How am I personally revealing Christ in my life? 
 

1 Thessalonians 4:1-12:  "As for other matters, brothers and sisters, we instructed you how to live in order to please God, as in fact you are living. Now we ask you and urge you in the Lord Jesus to do this more and more. 2 For you know what instructions we gave you by the authority of the Lord Jesus. 

3 "It is God’s will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; 4 that each of you should learn to control your own body in a way that is holy and honorable, 5 not in passionate lust like the pagans, who do not know God; 6 and that in this matter no one should wrong or take advantage of a brother or sister. The Lord will punish all those who commit such sins, as we told you and warned you before. 7 For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life. 8 Therefore, anyone who rejects this instruction does not reject a human being but God, the very God who gives you his Holy Spirit.

9 "Now about your love for one another we do not need to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love each other. 10 And in fact, you do love all of God’s family throughout Macedonia. Yet we urge you, brothers and sisters, to do so more and more, 11 and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you, 12 so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody."


If you were arrested for being a Christian, could they convict you? This short Bible study discusses evidence for faith.

2. If you meet someone new, what things would suggest that they might be a Christian?

John 13:34-35: "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

Acts 4:13: "When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus." 

1 Peter 3:15-16: "But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 16 keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander."  

I remember a time when I deeply regretted making a bad first impression: We had just moved to a new city, and one of my new neighbors came to the door right as I was yelling at my children. I was so disappointed in myself and prayed about how to handle it. The next time I saw her, I told her I was sorry for making such a bad first impression and I said I was praying about having more self-control with my kids. She was not a believer, and I believe God used my confession in a positive way.

Warren Weirsbe says, "The believer has been set apart for God; he or she is a saint, a set-apart one. We have the daily responsibility of devoting ourselves more and more to God so that in body, soul, spirit we completely belong to Him." 

Wiersbe, W. W. (1992). Wiersbe’s expository outlines on the New Testament (601). Wheaton, IL: Victor Books.

See these related 1-Minute Bible Love Notes: 
Life Expectancy
What Motivates You to Read God's Word?  
Extravagant Love

copyright Gail Burton Purath, 2013, edited and updated in 2020

Bite Size Bible Study

4 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading these devotions and studies everyday it's something I look forward to every morning. I.also have the devotional book of Jesus Calling and I read it every day, but I'm looking for a good way to study the Bible I want to read it and I ha e began so many times but failed but I love reading scripture but why do I have a hard time when reading the Bible. Is there a way I can read and study it where I won't stop I am a lover of God and I want to know all I can ab him and grow in him everyday I don't exactly get to go to church but i can read ab him as much as I want please help me find a good way to study the Bible and thank you so much for these small studies I enjoy them more than you know. Thank you and May God bless you and all your doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Unknown,
      The most important step in drawing closer to the Lord is a step you have already taken: a desire to know and study His Word.

      My recommendations: Quit reading Jesus Calling. While it contains some good teaching, it fails to give a balanced view of Scripture. The author admits that she wanted something besides Scripture and that's why she started writing her books. If you want a thorough understanding of Jesus Calling, please see my article on Bible Love Notes by copying this link: https://biblelovenotes.blogspot.com/2010/05/jesus-calling-are-sarah-youngs-claims.html

      Next, I recommend that you spend at least 5 minutes reading Scripture each day and then writing down what you've learned. Start in one of the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John) and go through the rest of The New Testament. I hope that you will enjoy this so much that you spend more than 5 minutes in God's Word, but don't ever go to bed without at least reading 5 minutes.

      If you copy these links, they can help you too:

      For insights on God's Word, please copy this link:
      https://biblelovenotes.blogspot.com/2012/12/trust-bible.html

      For insights on your Quiet Time, please copy this link:
      https://biblelovenotes.blogspot.com/2010/06/quiet-time-tips.html



      Delete
  2. This was really great ,thank you Be Blessed and keep it coming. Have a blessed and fruitful week.

    ReplyDelete