Soldier, Athlete, Farmer

1 Timothy 2:1-7, reflect on solider farmer athlete
My husband was a career soldier. 

We moved 12 times in 22 years where and when the Army told us. Sometimes my husband spent 4 months of the year away from home doing training. When we were stationed in West Germany, he was subject to 4 a.m. alerts. Now that America is involved in the Middle East, military families have it even tougher.

My son used to be an avid soccer player and he diligently learned the rules of the game so he could compete without penalty.

My uncle was a hardworking farmer, putting in half a day's work before breakfast. His family enjoyed fresh milk, eggs, produce and new grain.

2 Timothy 2:1-7 tells us to reflect on various aspects of these professions because God will give us insights about our Christian life. 

I encourage you to read 2 Timothy 2:1-7 today and consider how you might be a more loyal soldier, more diligent athlete and harder-working farmer in your faith.

Bible Study

If the Bible tells us to reflect on a passage, we know we'll be blessed if we do.  So take some time to reflect on the descriptions in 2 Timothy as well as the other passages below. I'd love to have you leave a comment and share what God shows you about how these passages apply to your life.
1 Timothy 2:1-7, reflect on solider farmer athlete

2 Timothy 2:1-7:  You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. 2 And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable people who will also be qualified to teach others. 3 Join with me in suffering, like a good soldier of Christ Jesus. 4 No one serving as a soldier gets entangled in civilian affairs, but rather tries to please his commanding officer. 5 Similarly, anyone who competes as an athlete does not receive the victor’s crown except by competing according to the rules. 6 The hardworking farmer should be the first to receive a share of the crops. 7 Reflect on what I am saying, for the Lord will give you insight into all this.

Another Farmer Verse: 
James 5:7: Be patient, then, brothers and sisters, until the Lord's coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop, patiently waiting for the autumn and spring rains. 

Another Athlete Verse:
1 Corinthians 9:24-27: Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. 27No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. 

Another Solider Verse:
Matthew 8:5-13: When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, asking for help. 6“Lord,” he said, “my servant lies at home paralyzed, suffering terribly.” 7Jesus said to him, “Shall I come and heal him?” 8The centurion replied, “Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed. 9For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.” 10When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, “Truly I tell you, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith. 11I say to you that many will come from the east and the west, and will take their places at the feast with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. 12But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” 13Then Jesus said to the centurion, “Go! Let it be done just as you believed it would.” And his servant was healed at that moment. 
copyright 2015, Gail Burton Purath, BiteSizeBibleStudy.com
All Scripture NIV unless otherwise noted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment